Saturday, April 29, 2017

Post #4 - A Sense of Humor


Cherries: 8 Pits: 5

Pit 1: Let me start by saying I only have one day until the deadline for the Intent to Enroll fee at the university where I hope to attend nursing school. However, I can’t pay the fee until I have been provisionally accepted as a student. I haven’t been accepted, but I haven’t been denied either, so here stands the dilemma that began my day.

Cherry 1: I woke up extra early this morning because 30 minutes before my morning class I needed to sign up for my next semester classes. That sounds easy except my normal schedule places me in my car, driving to my class, 30 minutes before my class starts. So I decided, today I would get to school early and sign up for my next semester. 
I got dressed early, I ate breakfast early, and read an uplifting story in the newspaper.

Pit 2: When I got outside and started my car, the engine coolant light came on. I think I stared at it for a few moments hoping it would just go off. When the light didn’t go out, I turned off my car and called my dad.

Cherry 2: Thankfully, my car has a tendency toward a “coolant deficiency” so there was a bottle of coolant in the garage. My dad knew right where it was, and I have done this before. In a matter of minutes I had the coolant filled and was ready to go. 

So much for getting to school early to sign up for next semester! I ended up leaving 5 minutes later than my normal time.

I turned on my radio for uplifting music as I drove to school.

Cherry 3: I made it to school in great time watching my speedometer carefully to be sure I didn’t speed. At school I put up my parking permit and headed to class. Even with the delay I was able to sign up for next semester and get the classes I wanted! Yay!

Cherry 4: After signing up for next semester I immediately went to pay. Surprisingly the total for the semester seemed really low. It was only about 10% of what I expected it to be . . . that's 10% of what I thought it should be!!! I thought I had somehow made a mistake, but another student helped me look at it and confirmed the good news. As it turns out the California Community Colleges Board of Governors offers a fee waiver for qualifying students. I had applied for the waiver “accidentally” when I filled out my FAFSA. 
You know, the FAFSA that I only filled out because the university required it? Yeah, that one! 😃
I wonder how much money I could have saved if I had filled out a FAFSA every year I was at the community college. Hmmm, no . . . I don’t need to go digging for pits.

I paid the amazingly small amount for next semester just before the professor came in to start our class.

Pit 3/Cherry 5: Right after class, I started talking to a fellow student who applied to the same university as me, but also hasn’t heard anything about acceptance or denial. She even told me about another friend of hers who is experiencing the same problem. 
I found this encouraging because as the deadline got closer I had really started to worry that I was the only person who hadn’t heard yet. Then I wondered if the issue was only students applying for the nursing program. 
In this case, I am applying for Nursing, my classmate is doing Kinesiology, and her friend is doing Communications. That means all different types of applications are delayed.
Our professor heard us talking and strongly suggested we drive over to the university and talk to Admissions about the status of our applications and the fee we need to pay.
This decided it for me and I offered to give my classmate a ride over and back so we could go together.

Pit 4: As I left the community college campus, headed for the university, I got turned around and wasn’t sure how to get where we were going.

Cherry 6: We had to stop at a long red light that gave my classmate time to look up the directions on her smartphone!

Pit 5: We bought a 2-hour parking pass and parked in the university parking lot. As I was getting out of the car, I placed the sunshades in my front window and made sure to tuck the parking pass against the window so it could be seen from the outside. 
Just as I closed the door, the pass slipped over sideways and ended up between the front windshield vents and the windshield itself. In this location, the corner of the pass was visible, but there was no way to read it or confirm if it was still valid.
I tried to catch the edge with my fingernail, but my finger couldn’t even reach it. My classmate suggested a pencil, but it didn’t have a small enough end. Then I tried a car key, but it was too short and not flexible.

Cherry 7: Laughing the whole time, my classmate and I tried one thing followed by another. 
Then my classmate suggested a paper clip and pulled one out of her bag. It was a nice large one! 
The unbend paper clip had a small end, was the perfect length, and with a little sliding back and forth, we got the parking pass out. 😃 It’s a good thing we bought a 2-hour pass!

I decided to leave my sunshade down and put the parking pass flat on the dashboard. I didn’t want a repeat of the fun we had just finished. 😉

Cherry 8: Admissions wasn’t busy and we each quickly received help from the staff. We were both told that our applications were still in the finalizing stages. We were also encouraged to hear that we can pay our university fee just as soon as we have been accepted even if that date is after the deadline we were previously given. 
In other words, we still need to check every single day. 
At least it was a confirmation that we weren’t missing anything!

I got to say, it’s amazing to me how many “cherries" you can find in your day when you think about the small details that make up each moment of each day.

Running total
Cherries: 14
Pits: 9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment...